Friday, December 31, 2010

Friday Link Dump 12/31/10

Nutball Alert: Atheist Neil C. Reinhardt - This is something that I have been noticing lately and it is kind of the elephant in the room.  We atheists have our fair share of wackos amongst our ranks.  I bang on moderate theists for not standing up to fundamentalist theists all the time.  Which brings me to...

S.E. Cupp. Possibly the most famous (and growing?) wacko atheist out there.  PZ Myers and Mr. Atheist have already posted good take downs of her so I won’t get into it myself.    

Giant spaceships to attack December 2012?  - At one time I may have believed this.  Check out Bad Astronomer’s Tweet Your Skeptical Journey  stuff.  

Creationists And Climate Deniers Take On Teaching Climate Science In Schools

The following pic is a screen grab from a “friend’s” page on Facebook.  I agree with the notion that not everyone needs to attend college; that part is true, but everything else about this is total crap.  I am sure this is part of the home school movement which is propagated by fundamentalist Christians who despise history and science and want to destroy education so people will continue to believe their brand of bullshit.  *steps off soap box*



Ark Encounter - They are building a replica Ark in Kentucky near the Creation Museum.  Adam said that he is tempted to donate just so people can stand in front of the thing and realize there is no way that all the species of Earth (x2) fit on there.  Adam assumes the type of people that would visit this place will come around to rational thought.  Silly Adam.  
*sidenote: I think there may be a Left Hemispheres field trip to the Creation Museum in the spring of ‘11.  

11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway.

Experiment on the effects of religion and magic.

Dozens of GOP Leaders Declare Solidarity With Those Who Want To See Homosexuality Outlawed - In other news the GOP should be labeled a hate group.  

Watch the Milky Way unfurl across the sky (and watch for constellations!)

Amazing WISE Telescope images reveal runaway stars and cosmic jellyfish

Penn Pilot: Atheists attack Baby Jesus! - I’m a week late on this, but I thought it was worth it.

Here is the upcoming American Atheist billboard.  This one makes the Xmas one outside the Lincoln Tunnel seem nice.  

“Debating a Christian” Flow Chart - I should start carrying this around with me.

Latest Right-Wing Freak-Out: Obama Wants To Give Manhattan Back To Native Americans - Ya know, at some point I would think one would just become very exhausted from all their irrational thoughts and activities.  I just seems like a lot of effort to keep up the nonsense.  

5 Real Deleted Bible Scenes In Which Jesus Kicks Some Ass - Ignore the assumption Jesus was a real, historical figure.  The historicity of a preacher named Jesus is irrelevant.  I think this nicely illustrates the mythology of the Jesus lifestory.  

In ‘Daily Show’ Role on 9/11 Bill, Echoes of Murrow

Space Circles Are Proof of a Pre-Big Bang Universe? - Interesting, but pay attention to the headline vs. subtitle.  Damn copy editors...

Faith and Modernity

Study: Conservatives have larger ‘fear center’ in brain - THIS STUDY IS A LIBERAL PLOT!
The All New God Challenge - At least this god is a little up front about things.  

Little Girl Chooses Odd Time To Talk To Uncle About Satan - My New Years resolution is to con as many children I know into writing these for my friends.  

HOW DARE YOU ATHEISTS EXIST?

Steven Pinker on Textbooks, Culture Wars and the “A” Word - “Atheism is merely absence of belief. Humanism will succeed when no one notices that it's there, when it's just common decency in Western civilization.”


Have a happy and safe New Year's Eve everyone.  Don't drink and drive. I need two hands to count the number of people I know that have died from doing just that.  



0 comments: